You are here Home Community support Pets & animals Livestock


  • In the urban area

    Never allowed in an urban area: roosters or pigs.

    Permit required to be kept in an urban area:

    • horse
    • cow
    • sheep
    • goat
    • chickens
      • Under 350 square metre block: Not allowed
      • Over 350 square metre block: Up to five hens
      • Over 500 square metre block: Up to 10 hens
      • Hen house needs to be 2 metres from all boundary fences and 10 metres from neighbours’ houses.
  • Applying for a livestock permit

    Complete the relevant form below and return to your local council office.

  • Stray livestock

    If stray livestock are on a public road, you can contact council on 1300 242 686 or the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 19 40.

    Animals may be impounded by a council ranger and a fine may be imposed.

    If stray livestock are located on a private property it is a civil matter and council has no powers to get involved.  However, you can contact Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23 for assistance.

Register for SMS Alerts

Enter your mobile number and we will text you with important local alerts